Saturday, August 08, 2015

It Was True In 2013 and Is Just As True Today (Digital Piracy)

This article by Chris Whitten was published by The Trichordist in 2013.
http://thetrichordist.com/2013/12/03/the-politics-of-piracy-guest-post-by-chris-whitten/ 

It's about the politics of piracy.

The author makes an assertion about Australians, and I must confess, I have noticed Australian addresses when I have used GoDaddy's "WhoIs" search to discover the registration of sites that are allegedly pirating my books, such as minkebooks.org

By now, "contact@privacyprotect.org" should have prevailed upon their secretive clients to take down my works such as:

One wonders (at least, I wonder) why people can make a living --lawfully-- out of thwarting the ability of intellectual property owners to directly contact persons who are allegedly violating copyrights.

IMHO, EBay does the same thing. For how many years, I wonder, have EBay sellers been burning thousands of copyrighted ebooks onto CDs and DVDs (sometimes more than 69 times... why 69? Is it a magic number for erotica???) in collections such as this:


Does anyone really think that Nora Roberts, Patti O'Shea, Patricia Cornwell, Rachel Caine and others granted EBay sellers their copyrights and resale rights?  If I were to purchase this collection, I should not be at all surprised to discover some of my illegally created works in the batch... but if I were to complain, as I have done many times over the years for similar DVDs where I have bought them and found my works on them, EBay would not tell the purchasers, and the purchasers would in their turn sell the same ebooks. As for me, I would not even be allowed to post feedback informing the world that the seller had infringed my copyrights.

My best wishes,
Rowena Cherry

No comments:

Post a Comment